Monday, April 27, 2015

84 weeks! Lost and found

Hey guys,

Sounds like a pretty nice and relaxing week! If you happen to find a car for sale (or a motorcycle) for cheap at the thrift shop, let me know! Haha. Other than that, I don't think I'll need anything from there. You need to tell Haylee's teacher that Haylee is from PG and is not somebody to be messed with! Tell grandpa Terry that I've already lost two family members during the mission, so he better not make it three! We've still got a baseball game to go to when I get home. =)
The week was a very long and very busy week. It was busy for us, but in ways that I'm not used to haha. Tuesday was about 100 something degrees and a holiday. As such, no one was home and no one was outside. We even tried knocking doors, but it just wasn't the day to work. We got nice and tan though haha. I have a white stripe on my wrist where my watch goes. 
We spent Friday and Saturday on the run too! I have two companionships of Sisters in my district and they were both needing me to do the baptismal interviews. We went to one area on Friday (about 40 minutes by bus) and the interview went great, but then we got lost going home because we caught the wrong bus. After about 40 minutes, I realized that I had no idea where we are, I had never seen any of those buildings. I looked at my comp and asked, "do you know where we are?" He looked at me and said, "no, why?" I had kind of been relying on him to get us home, but he hasn't quite developed that skill. We got really lucky because the lady who takes the bus fees was a member of the Church. She could tell we were lost and asked where we were going. We explained the situation, and she gave us directions home. We ended up having to wait about another 20 minutes and then another 20 while the bus driver took his break. We just hung out with the other drivers haha. Finally, we got back to our area and met up with the zone leaders (2 hours after we told them to be there) for our own interview. Saturday's interview was a lot smoother and we didn't get lost haha.
We had a great experience in the interview with the zone leaders. The young man who got baptized is 12 and has been going to church for some time. He really likes the Church and everything it teaches. Last Sunday, he told us that he wanted to get baptized. We were happy to hear that and went to talk to him mom afterwards. She wasn't quite as excited as we were. She said that she wasn't going to authorize his baptism. We committed her to pray about it and said we would stop by a few days later to see how it went. When we stopped by, she still hadn't prayed. We recommitted her, and marked to go by on Friday. What she didn't know: we would be acting in faith and bringing the zone leaders to do the interview. I knew the Spirit would touch her heart, and so we prayed a lot and called the zone leaders. The four of us went to the interview and while the zone leader talked with Breno (the young man), the rest of us tried to help his mom. She expressed her doubts and questions to us, and we gave her the answers and bore testimony. In the end, I think her biggest concern was that we would abandon Breno after his baptism. We promised that missionaries are like the gum on the bottom of your shoe, we just don't go away that easily. In the end, she said that we could baptize him! She even made a cake and invited us to his birthday party next week! I think she really enjoyed his baptism and we are going to help her to enter the waters of baptism as well =) 
I felt incredibly humbled today. I was listening to the Tabernacle Choir on YouTube and they have a video about the "Candy Bomber" from WWII. Just a small act of kindness brought to pass a lot more than anyone had imagined. I felt the love that Heavenly Father has for us and for all of those who do service for others. It was a humbling experience because missionaries feel that love quite often and there are some people in the world that don't.
How many times I bore my testimony is hard to say. As misisonaries, we bear testimony in just about everything we do.
I'm sleeping really well! I figured out the equation: lots of hills + my time on the mission = sleeping like a rock. I feel good too. I'm tired, but that's the case with all of the missionaries who have about the same time as me. However, I'm still as excited as ever and learning more and more each day!

Love you all and miss you! Can't wait to talk to you in a few weeks!

Elder Sanderson

No comments:

Post a Comment