Monday, June 15, 2015

91 weeks: teaching impolite English

Hey there everyone!

Alright, this email is going to be fast because the power has been out all afternoon and we just got to our emails. We have to run and catch the bus after this, so I'll just give a summary!
Glad that the farm was in good shape and that you guys got to see so much cool stuff there with the Church history. I hope that I get to see it too =) I was glad to hear that my seat is still my seat at the table and expect it as such when I get home. Speaking of which...TWO MONTHS!!!!
Haha
I learned this week that you should think before you teach when you are teaching someone your native language. I was at lunch and there was a little girl who is 7 asking me about a million things to say in English: what's that, and that, and that, etc. Her mom got tired of it really quickly and asked me, "Elder Sanderson, how do you say be quiet?" I didn't pause to translate in a polite way and replied, "shut up." She then looked at her daughter and said, "Hey, shut up." Haha I couldn't help but laugh and realized that "be quiet" probably would have been better. She continued telling her daughter that for the rest of our time there haha.
It's funny that you might have found my potential haha, I think the Sisters in my district tried to find me one too. We were at a wedding the other night and it was a wedding between two wards (my ward and the other ward). We were invited and decided to go so that we could eat some good food. When we were there, the Sisters came up to me with a girl I had met once before. Her name, ironically enough, is Sarah. The Sisters wuickly told me that she is 20 and wants to marry an American. Yes, this was in front of Sarah. But before you judge, Sarah is deaf and so she speaks Portuguese Sign Language. It was quite the neat experience to learn a bunch of words and I still remember most of them. Sarah is really cool and she seemed to like us. I don't plan on talking to her very much, I'm a missionary, so that's not what I do, but maybe I'll get her to friend request me on Facebook. 

One more quick note and then I gotta run. We were on the news today! They shut down a big bus terminal in our area and it has made quite a scene. They are just renovating it, but it is going to take a long time to finish. As a result, the news crews are there to hear peoples' complaints. We were standing at the bus stop today and they did an interview right in front of us, we'll be famous for sure. I was tempted to wave or something, but decided not to. It's probably for the best =)
One more thing! We baptized again this week! Two baptisms, actually! It was great =) They were both really excited and liked it a lot! We should have one more this week if everything goes according to plan!

Love you all,

Elder Sanderson! 




No comments:

Post a Comment